Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Silent Blog Decides to Speak

So, this whole blog endeavor hasn't gone so well.
I figure maybe I should actually update. Let's see...since last we spoke pretty much the entire year has gone by. After a lovely time at home, I spent New Years in Belfast with two amazing people (Shannyn and Alex), mourning the death of my grandmother and exploring new places. I think that's how she would have wanted it. My travels brought me to Dublin where although I didn't get to see the actual Book of Kells, I did see some extremely good facsimiles along with other real illuminated manuscripts from the same era. This then reminded me of my Grandfather. Something that's been on my mind a lot this past semester is my heritage: as far back as Scottish warriors (or sheep herders?), and as close to home as my grandparents. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I like feeling connected. I like feeling as though my life is the continuation of someone else's dream. Of course my dreams are unique, but they are also tied into history both genetically and culturally. This summer I'm going back to Greece, and will be excavating in a vest that belonged to my grandmother - she got it for her first trip to Egypt. There is no way for me to explain how much that means to me.

So anyway. The trip with Shannyn and Alex was thoroughly amazing. From Belfast we went to the Giant's Causeway, which was one of the most beautiful landscapes I've seen, then to Dublin. From Dublin we went to A little town in Wales for a day, which was not nearly long enough. We saw horses and beautiful countryside. Then we headed to London, where I unfortunately forgot to take pictures. I do like London, though. We saw the Tate Britain, which was stunning. We took many trips to the British Museum, which although I have avid archaeological misgivings about and loyalties elsewhere, I can't help loving (in my defense I didn't donate, and I didn't go see the Parthenon marbles). The first time I went the the British Museum it was the Near Eastern wall reliefs and the ROSETTA STONE that stuck out, this time it was the Sutton Hoo helmet. We went to the British Library, which I absolutely loved. We saw, among other things, the Lindisfarne Gospels! We also went a bunch of other places that have now sort of blurred together. I really should have kept up this blog.

Second term and this term my traveling has been slim to nonexistent (dance, essays, exams), although I have been trying to see as much of Durham as possible. Seeing Durham has proved surprisingly difficult; I really hate how much I take things for granted. I still haven't seen the Durham archaeological museum. Perhaps that will be this week, to take a break from 'revising'. I have been to a few more pubs though... (mostly for delicious veggie burgers). There's a pub called the New Inn, which is right across from the science sight, so it's a delightful place to go for lunch after a morning of working on something like illustration. One day almost everyone in the Dawson building working on illustration (about 8 girls) went to lunch together. Very fun. Illustration was a great class - because you can talk while drawing I actually got to know the people in it. It gave me a lot of insight into the lives of third year students in the British University system. It's pretty impressive - the amount of pressure is insane. But I also love how all the archaeologists know each other and, for the most part, supported each other. Particularly at the end of a semester when everyone was going crazy the sense of camaraderie was very comforting.

The performance with In Step was very much fun, especially as I was dancing with one of my good friends. But I have to say, I miss DTG so much. It's just not the same. Also, though, I'm terrified for being president next year. I'm still not quite sure what it is I'm supposed to be doing. In fact, I'm pretty nervous for a lot of next year.

Back to Durham. I've been incredibly surprised (and pleased!) with the marks I've gotten back for my essays. Funnily enough, the only mark I haven't gotten back is for the essay that I know I didn't do well on. I know it's been handed back, but for some reason i just can't find what box it was put into. Oh well. I've liked most of my classes, and most of my professors. And I learned an awful lot from the one professor I really disliked, so that's ok.

All in all, I've learned an incredible amount, and perhaps unlike the traditional experience of a student abroad, the academics have been central to my year. That's not to say that I haven't loved living in England, of course. And after exams I'm heading to Iceland for a week, for which I am exceedingly excited. As soon as I get back from Iceland I meet up with my family and get to see parts of England and SCOTLAND that I haven't had the chance to yet. Again, very excited. I am especially excited to show my family Durham and probably even South Shields (where I went on my first excavation!). It will be a fun trip, and a great family experience.

Besides the academics, one of the rewarding things about this year has been simply living just a little bit more on my own. I had built up a support network of close friends at Dickinson, and leaving that felt very much like I was a freshman again. Except when I was a freshman I didn't have Alex - the closest friend I've ever had. It was/is very weird living so far away from the people I love the most - both friends and family, but also oddly liberating. I think it's been good for my relationships with other people as well as me individually. I have more confidence. I think I like myself a little bit better as well. I don't have my life figured out as I wanted to, but maybe that's ok. Perhaps next year I will whittle down my interests and choose a path - but right now there is so much happening in the present I am trying not to think too much about the future (although it is hard!).

On top of that, I have also made a few truly wonderful and genuine friends, and I trust we will continue to keep in touch.

Right now my main concern is exams. I've finally gotten to the point where I think I know how I can not fail - now I just need to go ahead and study. My first exam is on Prehistoric Europe at 9:30 AM Wednesday morning. NEANDERTHALS GO! Then I have Archaeological Artefacts and Materials, then Ancient Complex Societies in Action the 1st and 2nd respectively.

Hopefully I'll write again before the next 6 months roll around.


1 comment:

Gael P. said...

ERICA! I'm so happy you updated your blog! Even if I've heard some of that before, It's still really fun hearing about all your adventures. I'M SO JEALOUS!! You've been so many places! (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Greece, Italy, Iceland....) =0

Lots of love, can't wait to see you soon! ~Gael

(P.S. I feel your pain... sort off, with exams, my first one is tomorrow morning. Chemistry since the beginning of the year!)