Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ginger Thoughts

Before I begin, let me preface this post by saying that I really do love it here.

Now, let me begin.

Whenever people talk to me about America, American politics, American culture, whatever, some sort of terrible but probably true statistic comes up. Invariably, it points to how backwards we are as a culture (and not as good as England). Of course, it's not in so many words, and many of these same people profess a love for the U.S. - it's "spirit" and "freedom" (ha). The fact that we're "inward looking" comes up a lot, and some statistic about how very few of us even have passports. This I find a bit unfair - almost everyone I know has a passport, almost everyone I know likes to travel - but that's because I live in a privilege bubble. I suspect that this statistic arises because although most people would like to travel, not a lot of people can afford it. Apparently people here go to Greece to party a lot. People in the U.S. can't do that. So? I also find it amusing that they tell this to me, who clearly has a passport, and then say they could never study for a year abroad, because they "aren't brave enough".

Now, like I say, I clearly circulate in a very small segment of American society - Dickinson is hardly mainstream, and Bryn Athyn even less so. It's hard for me to respond and carry on such conversations, because (as it's becoming more and more clear to me) my understanding of my culture as a whole is embarrassingly lacking. But isn't that the thing? What is American culture as a whole? America is so freaking huge!

Another thing that comes up a lot is the election. Rather, Republicans come up a lot. Not just regular Republicans, like the two other U.S. exchange students, of course it's the extremes. Admittedly, our extremes are fairly extreme. I've been asked if I'm a redneck, if I come from a redneck state, if I believe A or B or what have you. This is all mostly ok. I expected this. Our country has some serious problems. But what surprises me is that I haven't come across any dissatisfaction with British society (except for the economy). Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but someone told me that there wasn't really any racism in the UK, not "the way it is in America". Really? REALLY? Well that's fabulous, if I beleive it at all. He also told me that "well, it does exist, but it's always disguised as something else because people don't want to admit it. They talk about not wanting imigrants to take their jobs, but they don't have a problem with white immigrants, so I guess that's racist." Hmm, yeah, I think it just might be *eye roll*

Not like America at all.

I guess the thing is guns, though. The U.S. is much more violent, apparently. This I beleive.

However, I find it strange being told that my country is so much behind the times on these things when in my first week I was called "a big fat ginger" and my singapore friend who was with me was called a "chink", all because we ignored some cocky bastards making passes at us from inside a car. A friend on facebook's status is that she's "coming to terms with being called a blonde **** by a Durham local". Nope, no racism or sexism here!

I don't mind the inquiries and sarcasm aimed at the U.S., as I think they all point to legitimate problems we have, but it does bother me that I haven't found any sort of public face for adressing these things on campus, when they clearly exist here as well, if in different forms. In order to make up for that hideously long sentence, let me explain in smaller sentences.

At Dickinson, there is always an event, a group, SOMETHING that's talking about Guantanamo, Darfur, feminism, LGBTQ rights, fighting racism, etc. The women's center is fairly prominent. This doesn't make the place perfect, but at least these issues are being discussed if you want to discuss them, and are somewhat in the student consciousness. Now, maybe me not finding anything at all like this here has to do with circumstances. There is no universal sounding board, like the stairs of the HUB. Maybe I'm moving in the wrong circles, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. But, in the list of societies on line, there is no woman-centered or feminist group. There's the "Happily Ever After" society (where you pretend to be princes and princesses and watch Disney movies), there's the community that prays for global issues, there's the chocolate society, but no feminist society. The closest I could find was Amnesty International, which I'm joining. I know that I saw a sign for the LGBTQ society at the fresher's fair (where you sign up for all these things) but I didn't see the table, and looking through the list of societies online I couldn't find it. Although they are much more laid back about gay people here, I really really doubt that homophobia isn't an issue.

Is it because these things are SUCH HUGE problems in America - and often ignored or refuted problems - that we are pushed to adress them as much as we can, where we can? Are they really more aware of current events - both in their country and out? I haven't the faintest idea. I feel more ignorant now than ever. But, I do know that the lack of a women's group on campus is a blind spot that I find particularly frustrating, as I'm meant to be making connections and writing an article for the women's group at home.

On another note, I miss the writing center. They don't have anything like that here, and I have no idea how to write British essays. Let's hope they're more or less the same as U.S. essays. Although today a professor told us to start our essay off with "In this essay I will explain..." Huh? What? I hate that. I advise people not to do that. Ug.

Also I miss the caf. I'm a vegetarian now, partially because I'm so sick of beef, and you're not allowed to have the vegetarian option unless you tell them you really are a vegetarian. So, I'm a vegetarian.

Sorry if this sounds like complaining, it's actually not in my head. Just some thoughts.


Update: I found the LGBT site, it wasn't listed with the other societies, it had it's own website. It looks fairly large. Perhaps I'll find a woman thing eventually.

1 comment:

Shannyn said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I fully acknowledge the fact that many of the stereotypes about America are true, but I always have to preface any comment I make with "Well, America is huge, so..." There isn't really ONE American culture. I suppose you can't really say that any country has a single culture, but in a country like England...it's more a single culture than in America.
And anyone who says there's no racism in England is a liar. We spend a good portion of our time in London learning about the prejudice against South Asian immigrants in the East End. Sure, there's no KKK, but the BNP is pretty ridiculous. Fortunately, I personally haven't gotten any crap about being American, but one of my good friends is French and I hear French jokes everywhere (a historical prejudice), and another two of my good friends are Polish, and they get a lot of crap. No sexism problems as of yet, but I'm sure they're there. People tend to be willing to discuss things, though...particularly the election.
Just keep yourself open to discussion. You generally are. :-)