Monday, October 20, 2008

Irritable Erica Complains and Reflects

Complaints:
  • I want a salad. There is no salad to be had. They call brown lettuce in sandwiches 'salad'.
  • I chose to buy a sandwich from the library cafe today. Little did I know my "farmhouse cheddar" sandwich would be slathered in butter. Ew, ew, ew.
  • My clothes don't fit properly. They never have. I suspect they never will. I am uncomfortable.
  • I spent an hour in the library, and found none of the books I was looking for.
  • The library should organize their journals better. Like, say, using the alphabet.
  • I spend most of my time walking around town.
  • I have a lot of work to do (but, see lack of books. Problem.)
  • I miss Alex & my family
  • I can't wait until this stupid election is over. I. Am. So. Sick. Of. It. (but apparently the student union is having an election party. That could be fun. Or eye-gougingly frustrating)
  • I want a salad
  • I want a salad
  • I want a salad
Reflections:

It's nice being part of a large department for a change. There are so many areas of study to choose from, and a variety of view points available. We have an illustrator, a photographer, and a zillion professors. And the facilities! We have a conservation lab, an oriental museum, and more. However, the thing about the British is that a lot of your course reading has to be done in the library (as the reading list is HUGE, and you can't possibly purchase that many books). At Dickinson, even when people in the same class are all using the same book in the library, because there are so few people to begin with you can be pretty sure that whatever book you want will be available. This is not so here. It's a problem (already in complaint section).

My Religious Life In Ancient Egypt is the best class ever.
Be jealous.
Today we learned about mortuary temples for an hour, and then priests and the priesthood for an hour.

Later today I have my Artefacts and Materials class, which is also excellent. I think Monday is my favorite day, actually, even though I have two classes, and one of them is at 9 in the morning (the other from 4:15-6:15 PM).

Also, I really really like Northern Mesopotamia. Maybe I'll read about that this afternoon if I can't find books relevant to my essays.

By the way, despite complaints and malnutrition, I'm doing really well. I like Durham, Chad's, my classmates, my housemates, and I love love love my classes. Oh, I also went to a swing dance meeting/lesson on Sunday! It's very fun, and I'm excited to keep it up.

Now I'm off to see if I can't find some books on Alpine Rock Art, and perhaps the Lindisfarne Gospels.

Woo!

(I still promise pictures, but not today. Tomorrow, if there's time)

2 comments:

Shannyn said...

Hate to break it to you, but there is no decent salad in this entire country. Even if you do manage to find an edible salad, your dressing options mostly consist of "salad cream." Proper dressing is hard to find, and there is NO Ranch. It's very sad. But, but...you're coming to visit on FRIDAY!

Nicole said...

Dang it! If only I had read this earlier, I could have picked up some to bring to you lovelies...

we'll figure it out :)

p.s. I can teach you how to tailor all your clothes so they fit perfectly! Yay for costume shop experience. I am a dart-master.

(my word verification word is "pearkess" which is making me giggle, lots. no idea why)