Saturday, October 18, 2008

Random Social Stuff

So far I've talked about classes, and culture shock, but I haven't talked at all about the rest of life at "Uni," as these people call it. Basically, Chad's is welcoming, friendly, and I like pretty much everyone. I live in a small house down the street from Main College (the building where we eat, get mail, and a lot of freshers live), where pretty much everyone hangs out together. This is very strange to me, as for the past two years most of my friends have lived in different dorms. A dorm, my room, etc, is very much a place where I go when I'm done doing things. Now, I feel constantly antisocial for not being downstairs in the kitchen, by the stairs, or in someone's room chatting. To be honest, I feel a little out of place. The one time I hung out with them they talked about British things - mostly school, which is one of the more confusing British things (A levels? What?). Individually, I do like the people I live with a lot, but I don't do well in large groups.

There's a group of us international kids that are still pretty close. A list of names and things:

Hanano from Japan. She's studied in the UK before this (what we'd call high school, but who knows what it's called here. She's very sweet, and studying music. She's also one of my only friends who is also not doing sports. Awesome.

Jasmine from Singapore. She's studying Law, although is jealous of me studying archaeology (she wanted to study arch, but her mom wouldn't let her). She's sort of loud and is taking on way too much.

Anthony from Pennsylvania. No, we didn't know each other before this. No, different sides of the state. How far apart? About 7 or 8 hours. Yeah, America's big. (<--- typical conversation) He's studying English, and is another exchange student! His home college is Cornell.

Namali from Sri Lanka. Excellent person, studying Economics. Friendly, happy, lovely.

Anthony and I are the only two people of this group that aren't constantly freezing here.

As far as British people go, I've made a fair amount of friends. Mostly archaeology students, as we have something in common that I'm comfortable talking about. However, they certainly aren't all arch students. I won't go through them all, as there are a lot, but it's fun.

It's strange, though, because I've made all these archaeology friends but we will never ever have class together. I haven't had enough classes to really know the people in them yet, so it's a little weird. Also, the classes are very much lecture style so far - there's not a lot of interaction, and everyone already has their own group of friends (and knows everyone else anyway). It's not bad though. I love my classes so far.

I guess I don't really have that much to say. Last week there was an "alphabet bop", where you had to dress up as something starting with the first letter of your name. I went as emo. This week I've been fairly anti-social, although I did go to the bar last night and then ate chips with Zoe, and some other girls in her corridor.

I also drew a little last night, for the first time in a while. It was nice. I am going to make an effort to do that more often. Speaking of which, I have my first Fine Arts Society meeting tonight at 8. I'm excited! Apparently they get together and draw, as well as show each other their work. I'm not exactly sure how it will go, but it sounds cool. Also, they provide members with a studio space (maybe I will be able to get into woodburning after all!) and a way to get discounted art supplies.

Also, I decided not to join net ball or caving. I wanted to be able to keep my weekends free, for traveling and studying. Going along the same train of thought I also decided not to join InStep (the dance society) or the Swing Dancing Society, and instead just run or go to the gym. But, then, last night I was feeling gross and missed dancing a lot. I also realized that I would never be able to keep up a gym schedule - as I don't actually enjoy it all that much. So, now I am going to the second swing dance meeting tomorrow at 2, and have emailed InStep to see if it's too late to join. Ha. I'm excited, though. I was looking at the InStep schedule, and it looks like you can go to any class you want, as often as you want, so hopefully it's not actually all that much of a time restraint.

OH ALSO! Next weekend I'm visiting the Norwich kids, although that reminds me - I still need to look up train tickets/schedules and email around to see who has a free floor for me to crash on.

Anyway, I'm going to go do some sort of work (I may go to the library, or I may just read in my room). Sorry this was such a boring update. Pictures soon, I promise!

1 comment:

SUZAN BUCKNER said...

Sounds cool and exciting!! I would love to meet all kinds of people from around the world! (I used to love to when I was younger!).

Start art journaling around them, and then they will want to start art journaling, and you all will have something to do when you hang out!!

Good luck! Keep us informed.