Sunday, September 14, 2008

Crayons, Cake, and Paint

I'm starting to feel back to normal. I woke up happy, which is strange even when I'm healthy. I'm not complaining - it was a great day. Productive, even!

Let's see, let's see. Well, I went driving! I have my test on Tuesday, and I am determined. On this driving trip my dad and I got cake mix, as we celebrated my mom's birthday this evening (even though it was last week). For the occasion, I painted a picture. It's in a frame and everything, it's a new thing I'm trying out. I painted a mother and child, and added a funny quote by Dorothy Parker. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out! (there's a picture on the left but the colors turned out wonky in the scanner)

I saw Skye for the first time in a while, so that was great. I love it that we can go for months, years, whatever, and things are still basically the same. I also got her to wreck a page in my journal, which was marvelous. She was throwing rock crystals and everything! I was scared to look. But more on that endeavor later.

My recent art journal obsession is crayons. I think part of it has to do with digging up old art memories. But, another part is that crayons are just plain fun and are made out of pretty wax colors. I've also been fascinated with rubbings and etchings (using crayon, but also scratching away paint). This is another childhood magic; suddenly revealing the colors underneath but with only the thinnest of lines, and having a previously invisible picture that you drew emerge. And it never looks like how you imagined it would!

Another visit to my past occurred today in the form of Remington Steele. Not many people know this, but there was a time in my life (middle school / early high school) where I would watch reruns of Remington Steele nearly every day. This show features dashing Peirce Brosnan as a mysterious, suave detective with a passion for classic movies, paired with clever Laura Holt (technically the real protagonist?), as gaurded and sharp as a woman should be. Dazzling intrigue, witty banter, hints of romance - what more could I ask for? We got the first season on DVD, and I've been watching it with my sister Gael. So cheesy, SO fun. I love this show.

Anyway, my journal entries for today. Nothing special, but I think they document my new found carefree acceptance; a mixture of the old magic and the new sentiments, if you will. I'm starting to be at peace with my situation and imminent changes - starting to, I say, starting to.

color crayon skip

crayon birds

No comments: