Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Flutter Wreck

Definitely needed to wreck today. I didn't pass my driver's test, and compounded with stress about school and moving, I was just a frustrated mess of a girl. I'm much better now, and have another driver's test scheduled for Thursday. I WILL get this thing.

I think this has been my favorite activity. The instructions were to tie a string to the spine, and swing the book wildly banging into walls. I didn't actually bang into walls - but oh was it wild! I poked a hole through the spine with a nail and tied a string through it. Silly me, I thought it was smart to find the place in the spine where the two halves of the books separate (is it clear I don't know much about bookbinding?). Actually, this just made all the glue, and in fact the entire book, split in half. The pages were barely hanging on.

pre-swing

(You can also see my chocolate sauce print page)

I decided not to fix it before the swinging. Best. Decision. Ever.

I went outside, in the newly crisp evening air, and swung. I not only swung, I TWIRLED - PAGES FLUTTERED. I thought I lost some pages into a nearby bush, but no. Thank-you, page numbers. Oh, the destruction was so delicious. And the sound of the pages was like nothing else - I felt like a fairy. I needed this so much today.

With the help of red thread and duct tape, it's now back in journal form; new and improved. I may have put the middle section in upside-down and backwards, I just may have. Why? Because I can.


Swinging

Post-swing

I also did some journal pages, but I don't think I'm quite ready to share them yet (mostly because they aren't scanned and I'm lazy like that). It's funny how things can just appear, and be exactly what I need to see or create. It's nice to know that my doodling hands and brain can take care of me.

No comments: